Fresh Mint Puffs with Cheese
These fresh mint puffs with cheese are so tender that they disappear in your mouth.
Yield 20 cookies | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Bake Time: 20-25 minutes
Mint is a superb herb high in many vitamins and minerals. The oil extracted from mint leaves also has many medicinal healing properties. The herb, in fresh or dried form, is so versatile that it's used in teas, salads, sweets, savory, and meat dishes.
The dough of these puffs contains pureed mint leaves that give the dough a pungent aroma and a refreshing zest.
These puffs could be your breakfast or pick-me-up in the afternoon along with your cuppa... They could not only be part of your tea table but also compliment any bread basket of a rich brunch or dinner.
Ingredients to make Fresh Mint Puffs with Cheese
Fresh Mint Dough
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable, sunflower, corn, or canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large large egg and 1 egg white
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cheese (crumbled feta cheese, grated cheddar, mixture of ricotta and Parmesan cheese, etc.)
- 1 egg yolk
- sesame or raw sunflower seeds
required equipment: baking sheet (17x11 inches)
- Place fresh mint leaves in a cup and pour boiling water to soften them. Leave them in for a few minutes. Spoon them out before their color starts to turn dark. Puree them in a food processor. The puree will be about 1/4 cup. Discard any excess water in the puree.
- Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with a silpat (or parchment paper) and set aside.
- Crumble the feta cheese in a bowl with a fork (or grate cheddar cheese) to make the filling, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, put butter, liquid oil, milk, mint puree, and eggs. Add in flour, salt, and baking powder. Knead the dough in the bowl until all the ingredients are combined for a few minutes. It will be a wet and soft dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to be 1/4-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter dipped in flour, cut out rounds from dough.
- Spoon about 1/2 heaping teaspoon of filling into the center of the dough circle. Bring the edges of the circle together over the filling, and pinch them together to make an elongated puff. Make sure that the edges are sealed preventing the cheese to melt out. Arrange the puffs 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- After cutting-out the first rounds gently knead together any leftover pieces of dough and roll out again to 1/4-inch thick. Fill and assemble other puffs.
- Beat the egg yolk in a small bowl, and brush the puff tops with the egg yolk. Sprinkle each with sesame or raw sunflower seeds.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20-25 minutes until the tops are shiny and golden brown.
Do not throw away the water you soaked the fresh mint leaves in. You can use that mint water full of refreshing burst of flavor with a pungent aroma to make a chamomile and lavender tea/tisane.
If you're using feta cheese for this puff recipe, purchase feta cheese in its brine bath. Try to avoid the pre-packed versions. This cheese is best when it's consumed fresh. So if you're not going to use it right away keep it all covered in a brine. The brine will keep it moist and reduce the saltiness of the cheese.
Other Recipes You Might Like
DISCOVER MORE OF THESE HEALTHY AND EASY RECIPES
Preparing recipes from scratch is not a daunting task. It's just more fun to offer home-made goodies to your family and friends!
You will finally have a collection of healthy and easy to prepare recipes.
They are good for any occasion, not only at teatime...
Imagine how satisfying it is going to be being able to offer the healthiest food to your family and friends!
Your life in the kitchen is about to reach a whole new level of fun and satisfaction. Enjoy it!